The Capstone Curriculum
The Capstone Curriculum Overview
The Capstone Curriculum is a 16-module training program, taught at a seminary level, which we specifically designed to serve as the most essential knowledge and skill learning necessary for effective urban ministry and church leadership. Although each module contains its own specific list of objectives to guide mentors and students through the material, below you will find our eight overall objectives we seek to implement across our Capstone Curriculum:
- To ground emerging urban leaders in the Gospel of Christ, enabling them to know the basics of conversion and their own calling to salvation and leadership
- To root our students in the indispensability of the Church to serve as both agent and locus of the Kingdom, and for them to serve the church practically and specifically in the local assembly
- To equip urban leaders with the necessary study skills to study, apply, teach, preach, and minister the Word of God in the urban context, applying their learning in the context of their own personal lives and church ministries
- To challenge urban leaders to regularly memorize select portions of Scripture, and develop the discipline of review to retain and utilize texts both devotionally and in ministry
- To establish urban leaders in a Christ-centered vision of Scripture, and equip them in a Nicene-based, biblical theology that is congruent with the historic orthodox faith of the Great Tradition
- To provide a biblical foundation for both understanding and practicing Christian leadership in the context of the Church, with a special emphasis and appreciation for spiritual formation in urban communities, especially among the poor.
- To train urban leaders to evangelize, disciple, plant, pastor, and minister within evangelical urban churches which will be spiritually vital, culturally conducive, and aggressively reproductive within the various people groups needing Christ in the city
- To encourage urban leaders to find practical, meaningful ways to promote justice and demonstrate mercy with the broken and needy in urban communities, and discover ways to display hospitality, generosity, and compassion in the places where they live and minister
Each module (course) comes with a Mentor’s Guide, a Student Workbook and two DVD’s (four hours of video). Each module also has required supplemental textbooks. This curriculum is designed to be used in a variety of formats, time frames, and venues. As a complete training curriculum, it may be accessed through The Urban Ministry Institute’s Satellite Certificate program. Affectionately called “a seminary in a box”, this curriculum will give you everything you need to equip yourself and your leaders for effective ministry in your church and community.
For Our Satellites
From time to time many of you will find it necessary to obtain additional copies of a mentors guide or DVD. It goes without saying that circumstances will arise when you will need to obtain additional copies of either (e.g. sponsoring simultaneous classes at different venues, lost or misplaced copies of DVDs, etc.). We want to accommodate all such circumstances while, at the same time protecting TUMI’s copyright on its own materials.
As you already know, we demand that each TUMI site purchase official copies of our curricula directly from us via the TUMI store. We do not allow unauthorized duplication of any of our TUMI curricula. No satellite is allowed to make copies of any of our resources without receiving permission directly from us here at TUMI National. Anyone found to be duplicating our materials without our express consent may jeopardize the status of their site! This policy safeguards the integrity of our content and helps us cover our expenses here in order to keep our prices as affordable as possible.
In order to accommodate your need for additional copies, however, we are now allowing our satellites to purchase additional copies of our Capstone Mentor Guides and DVDs at a dramatically reduced price. (This is to protect you from the temptation to unauthorized copies of TUMI curricula.) Please notice the changes in the TUMI store that allow you to obtain these additional copies.