The only hope for the inner cities of America and the world is for God to intervene with extraordinary power in order to reach them for Christ. Revival alone can win our cities for God! Historical instances of God’s manifestation and visitation will instruct us in the nature of revival, and how we can learn from OT experience about God’s displays of renewal.
In a day and time as challenging and dark as the present, we who love Christ must seek after God with all our hearts and souls, to press toward the upward prize, and to long for him with all our selves. This will demand discipline, focus, energy, and dedication, but, if we humble ourselves before him, he may come to us in such a way as to touch dozens of inner city communities with his own divine visitation. We must be resolute and clear; we cannot allow laziness, foolishness, distraction, or exhaustion interfere with our quest. Nor ought we to be either surprised or disturbed that not all saints will find this kind of extraordinary searching after God to be their great desire. Many people today seek their own things and not the things of Jesus Christ (Phil. 2.21). Genuine revival may come when we humble ourselves before the Lord, and recommit his will and way with reckless abandon. For our God is a God who hears and answers prayer.
In this thematic packet you and your group can look carefully and longingly at God’s working of revival and renewal in both personal and corporate ways, and see what lessons and principles you can learn from them. The following list represents eleven topics previously used in a former Let God Arise! monthly prayer guide series. These historical instances of God’s manifestation and visitation will instruct us in the nature of revival, and how we can learn from OT experience about God’s displays of renewal:
- Revive Us Again: Seeking Spiritual Revival in the City
- Revival in the Heart: Revival Under Jacob (Genesis 35.1-15)
- Confess Our Sin Before God: Revival Under Moses (Exodus 32-33)
- Let God Be God: Revival Under Elijah (1 Kings 18)
- Cry to the Lord for Victory: Revival Under Samuel (I Samuel 7.1-13)
- Seek the Lord: Revival Under Asa (2 Chronicles 14-16)
- Dedicate Ourselves to God’s Worship: Revival Under Solomon (2 Chronicles 6-7)
- Set Our Eyes on the Lord: Revival Under Jehoshaphat (2 Chronicles 20)
- Turn Back to the Lord: Revival Under Hezekiah (2 Chronicles 30.1-9)
- Humble Ourselves Before God: Revival Under Josiah (2 Chronicles 34-35)
- Renew the Work of the Lord: Revival Under Zerubbabel (Haggai 1; Zechariah 1.1-6)
- Rejoice in the Lord: Revival Under Nehemiah (Nehemiah 8)